Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Greetings CSA Members,

It has been quite a week. Two farm vehicles are not running, the washing machine has a very serious squeal, my pre-school classroom was flooded by a burst pipe across the hall, and yesterday we lost power for most of the afternoon. Of course, we need both electricity and water to wash and pack the vegetables and we had neither. Nonetheless, we made it through and the boxes were packed for our members in Purchase, NY. This crew of ours is amazing. With that in mind I thought that I would share the writing of Rebeca Torres this week – in her honor, for on Saturday, she is to be married. Rebeca oversees both the blog on our website and the Troy Farmers’ Market booth. She is the captain in the barn on Wednesday mornings when we pack up the 275 boxes for the local CSA members. Rebeca has been part of the farm for the past 4 years, starting out as an interested CSA member, committed to local and organic food. I hope that you enjoy what she has to say. Take care - Justine

This week in your share, you will most likely find:
Tomatoes, Parsley, Swiss Chard, Lettuce, Eggplant or Broccoli, Onion, Carrots, Beets, and Bok Choi
Fruit Share: Plums and Peaches

I have shared before that I started out as a working CSA member. Back then I picked out my share at the Troy Waterfront Farmers' Market, and we didn't even pack individual boxes for the drop-off sites, we counted out items into totes for members to pick out themselves. Since joining the crew, I have helped seed, transplant, weed, harvest, pack and sell the wonderful produce we grow. Since returning to the farm after my hiatus, I have helped Justine with CSA office work, written up CSA site boards, counted out shares, managed the share box assembly line and helped pack the boxes into the truck. Until this week, however, I had never seen what happens once the yellow truck (which the crew affectionately calls the Sunshine Van) rolls out the driveway with Ann at the wheel.

When Ann announced that she was taking a week or so off for vacation, I quickly offered myself up for the job of driving the van so I could finally see that missing piece of the Denison CSA puzzle I have been participating in for the past five years. Brian was a bit hesitant to have me do the job, because I'm usually still coordinating barn activities and ready for the Saratoga market when Ann leaves, and I had never done the run before. Still, he gave me the go ahead and the week before Ann left I rode along with her to become familiar with the route and all that is entailed in making the share drop-off go smoothly. Ann was detailed in her instruction and I dutifully took notes and helped out, already having fun seeing this new-to-me side of the CSA operation. Places that had just been names and numbers to me, now had an image to go along with them in my head. The reasons Ann frets when we switch box sizes or change the contents of the boxes from location to location -- reasons that seemed reasonable but remained somewhat abstract to me -- became crystal clear as we made our drop-offs. And Ann, who I enjoy working with on my mini-crew on harvest days even when she pokes fun at my "mom voice," when I want things done just so, was impressively on top of things. I felt a new appreciation for the site hosts who extend their porches and garages for us all to use. I was excited to do my run the following week.

Of course, nothing went as smoothly when it was my turn. We started out the day having to replace the intended green beans for the share due to the continuous rain we've been "enjoying." You see, you can't pick green beans when the plants are wet or they develop rust. So instead we picked and bunched flowers and kale on Wednesday morning when we would have normally been packing boxes. Then we rushed to set up the assembly line and pack the boxes, only to have to re-pack several of them when the heavy melons threatened to fall through some of the older boxes and the small cukes kept falling out the opening on the bottom. Then a lettuce miscount resulted in my having to unpack the entire cooler to get to the corner where the market lettuce had been stacked and pull from there to complete the boxes -- all while keeping the assembly line going. Meanwhile, Maggie, was recruited to write up the site boards as we packed. Finally the boxes were done, part of the crew left to finish picking for market and we began to pack the shares, fruit and eggs into the truck. The directions I'd scribbled the week before mostly made sense and deliveries, while later than usual, went relatively smoothly. Some members arrived before the scheduled pick up time, so it was great to see the faces of the people we help feed and we even had some help unloading boxes.. As more members kept arriving, they also joined the unpacking line and we were set up in no time. Talk about putting the "C" in CSA (that's "C" for community). It was truly heart-warming and I want to thank those members who selflessly helped us out. The puzzle was now complete. Well, almost. You see, I don't know what happens when you get your boxes and open them, whether you read the newsletter, what you think of it, what you do with the veggies, how the CSA fits into the rest of your lives. And I am curious. So I second Justine's request that you share your CSA stories and recipes with us to put in the newsletter and/or the blog and continue to build the community that we have all chosen to be a part of and I am so proud to belong to.

Swiss Chard with Beets, Goat Cheese, and Raisins
Bon Appétit

1 1/2 pounds red beets (about 3 large)
1 large bunch of Swiss chard
1/4 cup olive oil
1 large red or yellow onion, halved lengthwise, cut thinly crosswise
3/4 cup sliced green onions (about 3)
5 garlic cloves, chopped
2 jalapeño chiles, thinly sliced crosswise with seeds
3 -5 diced tomatoes
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons golden raisins
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 51/2-ounce log soft fresh goat cheese, crumbled
2 tablespoons pine nuts

Preheat oven to 400°F. Wrap beets individually in foil. Roast until beets are tender, about 1 hour. Cool. Peel beets, then cut into 1/2-inch cubes. (Can be prepared 2 days ahead) Or just roast in oven on an oiled pan until tender – peeling optional.

Fold Swiss chard leaves in half lengthwise and cut stalks away from leaves. Cut leaves coarsely into 1-inch pieces. Slice stalks thinly crosswise. Reserve stalks and leaves separately. Cook chopped leaves in large pot of boiling salted water or steam until just tender. Drain and reserve.

Heat oil in heavy large pot over high heat. Add sliced stalks; sauté until starting to soften, about 8 minutes. Add onion and next 3 ingredients; sauté 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and 1 cup raisins. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until vegetables are soft, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.

Add chard leaves to pot; stir to heat through. Remove from heat; add lime juice and stir to blend. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer chard mixture to large platter. Sprinkle with beets, goat cheese, pine nuts, and remaining 2 tablespoons raisins. Serve warm or at room temperature.

No comments: