Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it

"Tried what?" you say? Beet ice-cream! Yes, really, BEET ICE-CREAM.

I love beets and I love ice-cream, so I was very intrigued when I read about it in CSA member Leslie's blog, Fluff & Nonsense, where, among other things, she writes about and photo-documents her CSA experience. I wrote to Leslie that I would love to meet her and hear how the ice-cream turned out. To my great surprise and delight, this past Saturday, Leslie, her husband Chris, and her two beautiful and charming children, Avery and Mitchell came to the Denison Farm stand at the Troy Farmers' Market and introduced themselves to us. Leslie told me the ice-cream turned out pretty good, better if you already like beets, but not to Mitchell's liking. I was excited to try my hand at the recipe and glad to have met them and went back to work. To my delight -- and that of Justine, Maggie, Stella, Molly and Leslie (a different Leslie) who were all also working at the stand -- Leslie and family returned a while later with a small cooler full of beet ice-cream samples for us to try! We ALL loved it -- thank you, Leslie!

I have not stopped talking about it since -- just ask the rest of the crew who was not there on Saturday. The color is gorgeous, the lemony flavor and beety sweetness a surprisingly delightful combination. I heartily recommend you all give it a shot too. At least read about Leslie's experience in her blog, a link to which is now on the list of our favorite blogs.

I'm soooo going to try a veggie ice-cream really soon. I'm thinking about a sweet cream base with zucchini flecks in it and the spices usually associated with zucchini bread. After all, we have to do something with all those zucchini that aren't good enough for CSA or market but we just can't bear to toss in the compost. Any other suggestions?

1 comment:

Leslie said...

i am flattered and i am glad that you all enjoyed it. It was fun to make and try.